Friday, April 27, 2007

Tools Like Us

So making up for last night's transgressions with Jeff Probst (ew - not like that... well, actually, now that I think about it, I may harbor a bizarre attraction to Probst...wait, ew! Make it stop!), I sat down this morning to watch the new Office. Terrific, as usual.

I particularly loved the runner that had Jim and Dwight impersonating one another. On any other show, that gag would have ended with Dwight complaining about identity theft. Jim's the smart guy who's too good to work in the office, and Dwight's the tool Jim must tolerate. But on The Office no character is safe from mocking and ridicule. Although Dwight's portrayal of Jim (as office ladies man) wasn't exactly true to life, he nailed Jim's self-conscious smartass spit-takes to the documentary camera. It's nice to be reminded that everyone in the office is a little bit of a jerk, which is usually how it works in real life, too. We are none of us innocent.

I was also delighted to see the accounting staff highlighted, and under the tutelage of Kelly's customer service skills. It's always refreshing to spend some time with the super-talented actors back in the corner of the office.

So I've learned my lesson -- Office first, Survivor later. I promise. Really. Unless Survivor is really good. But only then.

No comments: