Friday, January 12, 2007

Turkish Delight

Grey's Anatomy returned from hiatus last night with Part 1 of a two-part episode titled "Six Days". I was planning on discussing the episode today, but it feels premature because none of the story arcs have been resolved. We'll see if I have anything to say next week.

In the meantime, this was recently brought to my attention. It's a Turkish television program called Doktorlar, based on Grey's Anatomy. I don't speak Turkish because there is no reason, other than being from Turkey, to speak Turkish. But if you're familiar with the premiere episode of Grey's, I am sure you will quickly recognize the same sequence from the American version. To be honest, I don't know whether I find it hilarious or horrifying. The sequence where Izzy does rectal exams is a lot more... squishy in the Turkish version. The pace of the scene is very, very slow, so you really get to contemplate the fact that the dizzy blond is sticking her fingers up the guy's ass. Ew.

I still haven't watched last night's Office, but I'll post something this weekend when I get around to it. I am already looking forward to a television marathon for Monday's MLK holiday. Between the four hour, two-part season premier of 24 (Sunday and Monday, 8-10pm EST on Fox), and the Battlestar Galactica Season 3 marathon (Monday on the SciFi Channel, check your local listings), it looks like I'll be spending the day just as Martin Luther King Jr. would have intended - alone in my apartment communing with my television. Let freedom ring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I must say, I believe the good Doctor would have fully supported your MLK weekend plans. In fact, I think he would be sitting right next to you. I can't really imagine that he would have gotten nearly as much of his truly inspiring work done had television advanced to its current form by his day. He likely would have been completely entranced and would have been just as happy to sit around and watch The Office rather than have some racist a-holes blow up his porch. Of course, at first this seems like a bad thing. Where would we have been without Dr. King? One imagines that maybe TV's current coma-inducing/awe-inspiring format is sapping the current generation of leaders with enough motivation to move mountains similar to advancing the cause of civil rights. However, this theory is far too short-sighted. Let's think this through. Less TV (or at least less impressive TV) is exactly the wrong thing on which to pin your hopes. Rather it's higher quantities of impressive TV that is the solution. Much as MLK would have been sitting at home watching The Office, so too would the morons who blew up his porch. Seriously, if the bus was taking you home to catch 2 hours of Jack Bauer biting out terrorists' jugular veins, do you really think you'd give a good god-damn who was sitting in the front and who was sitting in the back of the bus? Probably not. I salute your pro-TV blog and the cutting-edge civil rights work that it is doing. Godspeed. (NB - Please do not mistake this comment for some moronic, sarcastic PTA message about the evils of television. I am completely serious. I've observed many of the people in this country and fully believe that the less they actually do, the better off we become.)