Monday, December 1, 2008

Ad Review: Where's My Ring, Jackass?

Ok, I've looked high and low for a link to this commercial, and can't find it. Apparently the only credit card commercials anyone ever uploads to the internet are the AmEx commercials featuring famous people. Which, frankly, are not even that good. Anyway.

The ad I'm thinking of has been up for a while (at least a year). It's from the series of AmEx ads that show the perks of having an AmEx, like getting show tickets early, being able to jet off to Italy on a moment's notice (really? I didn't see that in my terms), and not having a credit limit.

This ad demonstrates how much it sucks to have a credit card limit. Or possibly how much it sucks to propose to a gold digging harpy. In it, a man and his fiancé are purchasing an engagement ring at some schmancy jewelry store. The store clerk approaches the couple, stating that there's been a "problem" with the man's card. Obviously, the dude looks embarrassed. How does his bride-to-be ease the situation? By laughing it off? By picking out a less expensive ring? Of course not. She tells him to call AmEx and get that baby approved ASAP. Aw, young love!

Seriously, I am so grateful not to exist in the socio-economic bracket for which this situation occurs. Everytime I see this ad, I want to punch this woman in the face and tell this poor guy to run far, far away.

Ad Grade: F

No comments: