Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gossip Girl: "It's a Wonderful Lie"

This week's GG was weak. It felt stilted and contrived, as though written by actual high school students as opposed to 30-somethings who still haven't gotten over high school. I've never watched the new 90210, but I imagine it's a lot like this. Lousy dialogue (Vanessa to Nate: "I've never felt this way about anyone before!"), ridiculous pranks (Vanessa's see-through dress wasn't actually humiliating, given that she's smokin'), and zero character or plot development (Chuck and Blair are in love! Duh.).

That said, there were a few highlights:
  • Chuck's sequined blazer. Or was it a tweed with metallic thread? I spent all of Act II pondering it and still haven't decided. But it was a useful distraction from the craptastic mini-Blair and mini-Chuck.
  • Little J reincarnated as the Wicked Witch of Brooklyn. With a cape even! Girl has gone through about four new characters this season, from business-savvy designer to misbehavin' tween. I finally get why she gets along with Eric -- he's used to hanging out with nutballs since his time in the psych ward.
  • Teary Vanessa. It occurs to me that Jessica Szohr is actually one of the better actors on the show (not hard, unless you count Leighton Meester). Which means Szohr has purposely decided to make Vanessa annoying. It's an interesting choice which weirdly makes me like her more.
Otherwise, I think we all would have been better off with a new HIMYM last night.

No comments: