Monday, December 1, 2008

Television Christmas Wish List

Aside from a Series 3 HD Tivo, I do have a few (slightly more realistic) television-related requests for Santa this year.

Bring Daisies Back to Life on AMC

I don't blame ABC for pulling Pushing Daisies - I think the network honestly believed in the show and hoped people would watch. And hey, when you're getting beat in the ratings by the remake of Knight Rider, you're not the problem. But what a travesty for telephiles not to have the quirky Daisies in the line up anymore. I don't love the show unconditionally, and it took some time to warm up to (especially the expository voice over - I don't need to be told that Chuck is staring adoringly at Ned if I can currently see Chuck's adoring gaze right there on my television screen), but there is simply nothing else like it out there.

Which is why AMC, home of the glorious Mad Men, would be a perfect home for Brian Fuller's baby. Like MM, Daisies' aesthetic is beautifully cinematic. And the addition of a procedural comedy to AMC's line up would help round out the channel's original offerings. So do me a favor and slip some pie into my stocking this year....

No More Nostalgia

I'm obviously not talking about period shows like MM here. I can't get enough of Christina Hendricks and her vintage sweater dresses. No, I'm actually addressing the aforementioned Knight Rider. And Rosie O'Donnell's proposed variety show. And the recent remake of Bionic Woman. The problem with this stuff is that people will watch it. As the Cheers theme song told us time and again, people crave the familiar. So remakes are popular because in these troubled political and economic times, we'd all like to pretend we're actually living in another time. So we get high ratings for bad television, a sin that ranks high on my Coal For Christmas list.

So unless you're going to do your remake BSG style (modern, smart, relevant, and featuring a lot of Jamie Bamber), don't do it at all. And for the love of God, don't involve Rosie.

More Holiday Themed Episodes

Ok, this might seem to contradict the previous item. Holiday episodes are generally bald ratings ploys, and like a bad remake, they sometimes go horribly wrong. But generally, if a show is decent, there's something about the holidays that brings out the best in everyone involved. Chrismukkah, anyone?

Holiday episodes can throw characters together in a realistic but unpredictable ways, which is a nice break in a television landscape dominated by procedurals. They can help move plot along and force characters to reveal feelings or resolve conflict. Will Cuddy give House a Christmas gift? Will Charlie's father make a holiday visit? Will Blair and Chuck drink too much eggnog and burn down Brooklyn? I don't know, and I can't wait to find out.

***

Hmmm, somehow I thought this list would be longer. Maybe I'm still in a Thanksgiving coma. Or maybe I'm still just grateful for my television blessings this year: I recently bought Season 1 of Life on DVD; I just got a brand new flat screen for a song thanks to retail panic and Black Friday; and the networks are still scheduling new programming this week, even though November sweeps is over. God bless us, every one.

No comments: