Sunday, January 11, 2009

Livebloggin the Golden Globes Part 5

9:04 Ok, I'm plowing on. I can catch up on Tivo next weekend, since it's a 4-day in D.C. Plus, this is the most blogging I've done at once ever.

9:05 Tom Brokaw. Who was on my mind because he's the Tom Hanks of broadcast journalism. He's introducing Frost/Nixon. On the one hand, this movie looks interesting. On the other hand, I watched much of the original Frost/Nixon interviews during a class on the American Presidency in college. Whenever I see the previews, I just think about how it would be interesting to go back and watch them again.

9:07 Best Foreign Language film. I haven't seen any of these I don't think... Huh, Kristen Scott Thomas was in a French film. That intrigues me. Anyway, the winner is an Israeli film, but that's upstaged by Colin Farrel making a joke about how he used to be a cokehead as he struggles with a cold during the presentation. He's refreshingly self aware! Though I still can't understand 75% of what he says.

9:09 Aaron Eckhardt looks adorable, as does Maggie Gyllenhall, though she does it in a more grating way. The category is Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie. Interesting how these are almost all biopics, and the actresses are almost all veterans. The winner is Laura Linney for John Adams, which is having a really good night. I feel like that has a lot to do with the fact that it was aired in mid-March, when everyone was starved for good TV after the writer's strike, so it got a ton of attention. Don't get me wrong, I've heard great things about it and it has a great cast. But this is just one of those ways in which the winners can be arbitrary. I doubt Judi Dench sucked, you know? But I didn't even know she was in a TV Movie this year until just now.

No comments: