Sunday, January 11, 2009

Liveblogging the Golden Globes, Part 2

8:20 Best Supporting Actress in TV goes to Laura Dern for playing Katherine Harris in Recount. This category was much heavier on Miniseries/Movie nominees than the men, so the win bothers me less (though why aren't any of the Mad Men ladies nominated? or Kristen Chenoweth in Pushing Daisies). But Laura Dern just called HBO "brave and amazing". Listen folks, HBO can no longer be called "brave". And certainly not for making a movie about a political fiasco with a fairly predictable lefty-Hollywood take on it. Ugh, and she's getting political preachy. This is why I don't watch these things. I sincerely don't give a fuck what Hollywood people think about politics or social issues.

8:27 Don Cheadle introduces Burn After Reading for the Best Comedy category. Cheadle rocks - I always forget how funny he is because he's generally making those insanely serious, depressing films. Anyway, 20 seconds of Cheadle is more amusing than Burn After Reading looks. I'm officially tired of George and Brad. I know! But really, the charm offensive is burning itself out.

8:28: Best Actor in a TV Show, Miniseries, or TV Movie. God, this one's hard. Hugh Laurie, Jon Hamm, Dexter.... I honestly don't have a favorite. And of course, Gabriel Byrne wins for In Treatment, which I've never seen and sounds vaguely painful. Even better, he's not even there to accept. So we were arbitrarily robbed of what would have been the best acceptance speech of the night from HL, Hamm, or my favorite serial killer. Fuck you, Hollywood Foreign Press Association, and your hard-on for the Home Box Office.

8:31: Best Actress in a TV Show, Miniseries, or TV Movie. This category is getting tired. Kyra Sedgwick and Mariska Hargitay are nominated again. Luckily, Anna Paquin wins for True Blood. Is she allowed to be this year's Golden Globe New Talented Ingenue Girl? Because she's been famous her entire life. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see fresh blood (pun intended), even though I've yet to get into True Blood. I'm weary of vampires, in this Twilight world.

No comments: