Sunday, January 11, 2009

Liveblogging the Golden Globes

I found myself camped in front of the TV this evening watching the Golden Globes, which is actually not something I'd normally do. But I've decided to liveblog at least the first hour (24 premiers tonight, and I might want to watch it before bed) just to see if it makes it more interesting.

8:04 Jennifer Lopez presents Kate Winslet with the GG for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama. Jen looks to be trying to compete with those divorce rumors. She's wearing a gold draped dress that's almost as slutty as that infamous dress from her P. Diddy years. But she looks gorgeous and can pull it off, so good for her.

Kate is flabbergasted and also extraordinarily grateful. There's a touch of "finally!" but she has been making Oscar bait for years so I can understand it. I haven't seen The Reader or Revolutionary Road, though I have to admit I'll probably be suckered into the latter by the Leo & Kate reunite press. Which is weird, because I absolutely hated Titanic and all the attendant hoopla. I think I'm happy to see them both all grown up and making real movies, having mostly escaped from the psycho insane scrutiny of the big boat movie. Anyway, kuddos to Kate.

8:10 Bruce Springsteen has won for Best Song.... in something. The category is a bit fuzzy to me because I'm distracted by Rumer Willis, who appears to be this year's Ms. Golden Globes. I could have sworn she'd already done it, but I guess not (again, I tend not to pay too close attention). Her dress is gorgeous (deep plum, a-line, interesting twisted bodice/waistline) and I looove the red hair on her, but does she always have to look so smug? Your parents are, collectively, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore, and Ashton Kutcher. You're rich and famous. Get over yourself.

8:17 Winner for Best Supporting Actor in a TV Series, Miniseries, or TV Movie. I have no doubt Tom Wilkinson was great in John Adams; he's great in everything. But these categories are such crap. I'm glad Piven didn't win again, but both Neil Patrick Harris (who was great on SNL last night) and Alec Baldwin totally deserve a shout out. But they don't get it because they're in the junk drawer of GG categories. Crap.

No comments: