Sunday, January 11, 2009

Liveblogging the Golden Globes Part 8

9:47 Ok, rejoining the show. Best Actress in a TV Comedy. Tina Fey wins. The lady is my hero. Oh, and also I'm afraid she has taken to exclusively playing baby crazy women in their late 30s, and I hope they take Liz Lemon somewhere else sometime soon.

Fantastic speech. The joke about Hollywood Foreign Press action figures is great, but even better was when she told her internet critics, individually and by name, to suck it.

To explain more thoroughly why I love Tina Fey, let me tell you a story. Recently, I was watching an episode of Damages with my newish roommate. He mentioned three times how ugly he finds Glenn Close before I finally had to say something. Because men, women in the entertainment business do not exclusively exist for the purpose of giving you something to wack off to. While watching Damages, I have never thought to note how physically unattractive Ted Danson is, though I am not even remotely attracted to him or his character on the show. Because he is playing an unlikeable character, and doing it well. Just like Glenn Close. They are helping to create an interesting world filled with devious people with impure motives.

Anyway, it annoys me that Glenn Close, or any actress, is just expected to be attractive by virtue of being an actress. I told my roommate as much, and was a bitch about it, because it's the kind of situation that deserves to have a bitch intervene and tell someone he's being an asshat.

What does this have to do with Tina Fey? Well, were it not for Fey, this situation would have made me feel bad. But Tina is funny and smart and bitchy and a feminist. And incredibly successful. And whenever I start to feel guilty for being myself, I remember Tina Fey and am reminded that it doesn't matter at all if my roommate thinks I'm a bitch. And that it would be way worse if I silenced myself when I'm RIGHT and he's being and asshat, just to avoid fulfilling the stereotype of a bitchy feminist. Because thanks to Tina Fey, the stereotypical bitchy feminist is a little better understood and a little less villified. Give her an award for that. But the GGs are cool too.

10:04 Stephen Spielberg gets a lifetime achievement award. Which means lots of shots of Drew and her crazy hair! Thanks Steve.

No comments: